Browsing Travel Swop
You can view Content on Travel Swop without having a Travel Swop Account or a Travel Swop Account. You also can contact us through the Travel Swop Help Centre or by emailing us directly without having to register for an account.
Your Travel Swop Account.
For some activities on Travel Swop, like adding a new swop or contacting Swoppas, you need a Travel Swop Account. We ask for some personal information when you create an account, including your email address and a password, which is used to protect your account from unauthorized access. A Travel Swop Account, additionally, allows you to access other Travel Swop services that require registration.
When you use Travel Swop, we may record information about your usage of the site, such as favourites you subscribe to, which other users you communicate with, the Content you view, the frequency and size of data transfers, and information you display about yourself as well as information you click on in Travel Swop . If you are logged in, we may associate that information with your Travel Swop Account. Any personal information or Content that you voluntarily disclose online (e.g., comments, your profile page) may be collected and used by others.
If you submit personal information to Travel Swop, we may use that information to operate, maintain, and improve the features and functionality of Travel Swop, and to process any activity or other communication you send to us.
We do not use your email address or other personal information to send commercial or marketing messages without your consent. We may use your email address without further consent for non-marketing or administrative purposes (such as notifying you of major Travel Swop changes or for customer service purposes).
Publicly Available Information
When you create a Travel Swop Account, some information about your Travel Swop Account and your account activity will be provided to other users of Travel Swop. This may include the date you opened your Travel Swop Account, the date you last logged into your Travel Swop Account, your age (if you choose to make it public), the country and the Content you have viewed. This is to allow Travel Swop to provide statistics to users who have posted Content to enable them to evaluate the impact of their postings.
Your Travel Swop Account name, not your email address, is displayed to other users when you engage in certain activities on Travel Swop, such as when you upload videos or send messages through Travel Swop. Other users can contact you by leaving a message or comment on the site.
Any Content that you submit to Travel Swop may be redistributed through the internet and other media channels, and may be viewed by other Travel Swop users or the general public.
You may also choose to add personal information which may include your name, gender, profile picture or other details, that will be visible to other users on your Travel Swop Account page. If you choose to add certain features to your Travel Swop Account page, then these features and your activity associated with these features will be displayed to other users and may be aggregated and shared with your friends or other users. Such shared activity may include your Content preferences, Content you rated and Content that you have uploaded.
If you have a Travel Swop Account, you may update or correct your personal profile information, email preferences and privacy settings at any time by visiting your account profile page.
You may control the information that is available to other users and your confirmed friends at any time by editing your Travel Swop Account and the features that are included on your account page.
You may, of course, decline to submit personal information through Travel Swop, in which case you can still view Content and explore Travel Swop, but Travel Swop may not be able to provide certain services to you. The privacy notices of those services govern the use of your personal information associated with them.
Advertising on Travel Swop
Travel Swop strives to provide you with relevant and useful advertising. We may use a range of information including cookies, web beacons, IP addresses, usage data and other non-personal information about your computer or device (such as browser type and operating system) to provide you with relevant advertising. While you are logged in or logged out of your Travel Swop Account, we may also show you advertising based on non-personally identifiable information you have provided to us in your Travel Swop Account.
Advertisers may serve ads based on interests and demographic categories associated with non-personally identifiable online activity, such as Content viewedAdvertisers may also serve ads to you based on previous activity on that advertiser's website or based on non-personally identifiable information from other companies. This non-personally identifiable information is held separately from your Travel Swop Account data, or other personally identifying information in our possession.
c/o Travel Swop
PO Box 2006
Prahran VIC 3181
Information we collect and how we use it
We may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide – When you sign up for a Travel Swop Account we ask you for personal information. We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other Travel Swop services or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. For certain services, we may give you the opportunity to opt out of combining such information. You can use the Travel Swop Dashboard to learn more about the information associated with your Account.
- Log information – When you access Travel Swop services via a browser, application or other client our servers automatically record certain information. These server logs may include information such as your web request, your interaction with a service, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your account.
- User communications – When you send email or other communications to Travel Swop, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services. When you send and receive SMS messages to or from one of our services that provides SMS functionality, we may collect and maintain information associated with those messages, such as the phone number, the wireless carrier associated with the phone number, the content of the message, and the date and time of the transaction. We may use your email address to communicate with you about our services.
- Location data – Travel Swop offers location-enabled services, such as Google Maps and Latitude. If you use those services, Travel Swop may receive information about your actual location (such as GPS signals sent by a mobile device) or information that can be used to approximate a location (such as a cell ID).
In addition to the above, we may use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, protect, and improve our services (including advertising services) and develop new services; and
- Protect the rights or property of Travel Swop or our users.
If we use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use.
Travel Swop processes personal information on our servers in Australia and in other countries. In some cases, we process personal information outside your own country.
You can use the Travel Swop Dashboard to review and control the information stored in your Travel Swop Account.
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some Travel Swop features and services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
Travel Swop only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of Travel Swop in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Travel Swop, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, including appropriate encryption and physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to personal information to Travel Swop employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it on our behalf. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
Accessing and updating personal information
When you use Travel Swop services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Because of the way we maintain certain services, after you delete your information, residual copies may take a period of time before they are deleted from our active servers and may remain in our backup systems.
Travel Swop complies with Australian laws regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information.
Privacy at Travel Swop
We work hard to provide transparency and meaningful choice when you use Travel Swop. More information about our privacy safeguards is provided below.
Travel Swop Privacy Guidelines
Our Privacy Guidelines explain Travel Swop's privacy process, factors we take into account when processing complaints, and tips on handling privacy complaints for both the complainant and the uploader.
Reporting a privacy violation
Every day, thousands of people come to Travel Swop to share Content and engage with one other. We want you to feel safe when you're on Travel Swop, which is why we encourage you to let us know if videos or comments on the site violate your privacy or sense of safety.
If any Content contains your personal information without consent, including your image, name or national identification number, you can contact us through our Privacy Complaint Process.
Updated as of 1 February, 2012